A naming day is an informal occasion gathering friends and family together to celebrate the birth and naming of your child. It is generally not a religious occasion and does not hold any legal binding or legal status. However a record of the ceremony by way of a naming certificate as a token of the day will be presented. This does not mean however, that your child must be a baby to celebrate their naming! Children of all ages can be celebrated and supported in these ceremonies. Therefore, it is of great importance that parents are able to design a naming ceremony that is unique and personal with as much assistance from their chosen celebrant as they wish.
A naming ceremony is a celebration that can involve all of the people in your child’s life. It is a unique and memorable opportunity for you to state in front of your child’s family and friends the continued love, support and unconditional care that you will provide for your child as their parent, and possibly announce the carers or guardians of your child should you wish to nominate godparents, mentors or sponsors.
A naming ceremony does not need to be serious and formal. It can be a lighthearted, meaningful, personal and fun occasion for everyone involved.
Making your child’s naming day personal
I will provide you with a handbook of sample readings, quotes, and ideas, that will assist you in selecting the most appropriate inclusions in your naming day. I will also provide you with an outline of a suggested ceremony, and work with you in person or via email to achieve the exact naming day you desire for your child.
Should you wish to write your inclusions, have a certain poem or reading, or play a particular piece of music; this can all be incorporated into the day. Music is a very important aspect of a ceremony of any nature, and pre recorded music on a PA system can be looked after on the PA system I will provide on the day.
The naming day package includes:
- Provision of or assistance in creating a personal and distinct naming day for your child
- Suggestions and sample readings, poems and quotes for your ceremony
- Unlimited consultation in the lead up to your naming day via telephone or email
- An initial meeting and personal consultation in between if required
- A professional PA system to amplify both the ceremony and your ceremony music if required
- Printed copies of the ceremony for your naming day guests if required
- A beautiful naming day certificate that can be signed by your child’s guardians, you the parents and myself on the day as a keepsake
- Certificates for your godparents/carers/mentors/guardians to keep on the day
Some options for inclusions in the ceremony include:
- Welcome and Introduction
- An official ‘Naming’ of the Baby/Child/Children
- Appointment of supporting adults eg. ‘godparent’ or ‘guardian’
- Welcoming of Child to their community of family and friends
- Closing words and Signing of Naming Certificate
- Parent promises or vows
- Your thoughts on being parents to this wonderful baby/child
- ‘Godparent’ or ‘Guardian’ personal qualities acknowledged
- Grandparent’s role acknowledged
- Reasons for/meaning of the Name
- Having ‘blessings’ read out that each guest has written themselves
- Lighting of Naming Candle
- Planting of a Tree
- Releasing Balloon
- Signing a book with wishes for child
- Guests contribute to an artwork for the child as a keepsake
- Sand Ceremony
- Butterfly Release to signify new life
- Presentation of gift to child or to certain guests