A naming day is an informal occasion gathering friends and family together to celebrate the birth and naming of your child.
It is generally not a religious occasion and does not hold any legal binding or legal status. However a record of the ceremony by way of a naming certificate as a token of the day will be presented. This does not mean however, that your child must be a baby to celebrate their naming! Children of all ages can be celebrated and supported in these ceremonies. Therefore, it is of great importance that parents are able to design a naming ceremony that is unique and personal with as much assistance from their chosen celebrant as they wish.
A naming ceremony is a celebration that can involve all of the people in your child’s life. It is a unique and memorable opportunity for you to state in front of your child’s family and friends the continued love, support and unconditional care that you will provide for your child as their parent, and possibly announce the carers or guardians of your child should you wish to nominate godparents, mentors or sponsors.
A naming ceremony does not need to be serious and formal. It can be a lighthearted, meaningful, personal and fun occasion for everyone involved.
How can I help?
I will provide you with a handbook, that will assist you in selecting the most appropriate inclusions in your naming day. I will also provide you with an outline of a suggested ceremony, and work with you in person or via email to achieve the exact naming day you desire for your child.
Should you wish to write your inclusions, have a certain poem or reading, or play a particular piece of music; this can all be incorporated into the day.
What does the package include?
- Provision of or assistance in creating a personal and distinct naming day for your child
- Suggestions and sample readings, poems and quotes for your ceremony
- Unlimited consultation in the lead up to your naming day via telephone or email
- An initial meeting and personal consultation in between if required
- A professional PA system to amplify both the ceremony and your ceremony music if required
- A beautiful naming day certificate that can be signed by your child’s guardians, you the parents and myself on the day as a keepsake
- Certificates for your godparents/carers/mentors/guardians to keep on the day
- Welcome and Introduction
- An official ‘Naming’ of the Baby/Child/Children
- Appointment of supporting adults eg. ‘godparent’ or ‘guardian’
- Welcoming of Child to their community of family and friends
- Closing words and Signing of Naming Certificate’
- Parent promises or vows
- ‘Godparent’ or ‘Guardian’ personal qualities acknowledged
- Grandparent’s role acknowledged
- Reasons for/meaning of the Name
- Having ‘blessings’ read out that each guest has written themselves
- Lighting of Naming Candle
- Planting of a Tree
- Signing a book with wishes for child
- Guests contribute to an artwork for the child as a keepsake
- Presentation of gift to child or to certain guest